These cute little Vegan Orange and Pistachio cake are really easy to make and full of flavour. With both orange zest and juice and loads of pistachios these cakes are a real treat.
Isn’t a lot of thing just more adorable in miniature size? That’s why you will love these individual cakes toped with a zesty icing. That and they are also:
- Easy to make
- Loaded with pistachios
- A sweet and zesty orange flavour
Ingredients and tips for making these mini Vegan Orange and Pistachio cake:
- Almond milk, my favorite milk to bake with! But feel free to use any kind of milk you have available.
- Flaxseed meal, to make flax “eggs” Simply mix the flaxseed meal with the liquids and let is sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Orange, both the zest and juice for extra orange flavour
- Apple cider vinegar, this is to help the cake rise when baked and also to hold it together.
- Sugar, I use organic cane sugar but coconut sugar can also be substituted.
- All purpose flour, can also be substituted for white whole wheat flour.
- Pistachios, roasted and peeled. I can buy unsalted pistachios that are already peeled and roasted. You can also peel and roast them up yourself, just a few minutes in a dry frying pan over medium high heat will do. I do not recommend using salted pistachios since this will make the cakes too slaty.
- Almond flour, for moisture and flavour
- Cardamon, I use cardamon powder
- Baking powder and baking soda, I find a mix of the two is the best combination for the perfect texture in these mini cakes.
- Pinch of salt
- The glaze is optional but oh so good with these cakes so I highly recommend it! Simply mix together Icing sugar and fresh squeezed orange juice. Add a little orange juice at the time until you have the glaze at the perfect consistency.
Storing this Orange and pistachio cake:
If you have leftover mini cakes here’s how to keep them fresh and tasty for longer.
First they have to be completely cool. Take out an airtight container and line the bottom with a paper towel. Place the mini cakes on the paper bowl in one layer and cover with the lid. Optional to use a ziplock bag, place the cakes onto op a paper bowl with the bag in one layer. The paper towel will soak up any excess moisture that could turn the cakes and glaze soggy. Store them in room temperature for up to 4 days.
You can also freeze them in an air tight container for about 2 months. I prefer to freeze them without the glaze, it will melt when defrosted.
More recipes to try:
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Let me know what you think by leaving a comment, rating, and tagging me at @thedeliciousplate in your picture on Instagram. Your feedback is so helpful! Also, don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter to be sure not to miss my latest recipes!
These cute little Vegan Orange and Pistachio cakes are easy to make and full of orange and pistachio flavour.
- 1 cup (250ml) almond milk
- 2 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 orange, zest and juice (8 tablespoon juice)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cups pistachios, peeled and chopped
- ⅓ cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon cardamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ⅔ cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon orange juice
Preheat the oven to 180C (350F)
Grease a muffin tray with coconut oil or line with muffin liners.
In a bowl, mix the almond milk, ground flaxseed, apple cider vinegar, orange juice and zest. Mix well and let it rest for 5 minutes.
In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. Add them to the wet ingredients and gently fold, do not over mix.
Pour into the prepared muffin tray and bake for about 15-17 minutes until the cake feels bouncy to the touch and a stick comes out clean. Let them cool down for 10 min and then remove from the mould to a cooling rack.
For the glaze, just stir the sugar and orange juice together. If its too loose, add a little more sugar, too dry a little more orange juice until you have a consistency to your liking. Top the cakes with the glace and with some chopped pistachios.