I am so happy it is blood orange season! This Vegan Orange Cake is made with blood oranges, but can also be substituted for normal oranges when blood oranges aren’t in season. This cake is so moist and full of zesty orange. The batter also have some chia seeds and both orange zest and juice. It’s topped with a zesty icing that packs a punch of flavour and fresh slices of blood orange.
It is impossible to just have one pice of this cake, trust me!
The ingredients you need for making this wonderful Vegan Blood Orange Cake:
- Almond milk, I love unsweetened almond milk and use it in most of my recipes. You can also substitute for any other kind of plant based milk, or regular milk for non vegan.
- Chia seeds, they are high in fiber, antioxidants and protein
- Blood orange, the zest and fresh squeezed juice. You can also use a normal orange if you can’t get blood oranges.
- Apple cider vinegar, to make home made butter milk, also to help it rise and hold together since this cake doesn’t have any eggs.
- Sugar, I use an organic brand
- All purpose flour, measured correctly. Fluff the flour with a spoon and then pour it into the measuring cup or spoon it in. Level of the top with a knife.
- Almond flour, almond meal can also be used for a little courser texture.
- Baking powder and baking soda, a mix of the two really makes this cake light and fluffy, yet tender and moist
- Pinch of salt
Blood orange glaze:
- Icing sugar
- Fresh squeezed orange juice, add a little at a time to get the right consistency
- Slices of blood orange for topping
IF YOU ENJOY THis Vegan Blood Orange Cake, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE HEALTHY DESSERT RECIPES:
Vegan Blood Orange Cake, so moist and zesty. It has chia seeds and both Blood Orange zest and juice. Topped with a zesty icing that packs a punch of flavor.
- 1 cup 250ml almond milk
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- zest and juice of 1 blood orange, about 4 tbsp
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ⅓ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cups almond flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ⅔ cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoon juice of blood orange
- slices of blood orange for topping
Pre heat the oven to 180C (350F)
Line a loaf tin with parchment paper and set aside.
In a bowl, mix the almond milk, chia seeds, apple cider vinegar and blood orange juice and zest. Mix well and let it rest for 5 minutes.
In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. Add them to the wet ingredients and gently fold, do not over mix.
Poor in the prepared loaf tin and bake for about 35-45 minutes until the cake feels bouncy to the touch and a stick comes out clean.
Let it cool
For the glaze, just stir the sugar and blood orange juice together and top the cake.
Decorate with blood orange slices if desired