There is just something special about healthy homemade granola. And when you add salted caramel to the mix, it gets even better!! Healthy Salted Caramel Granola is an easy and delicious vegan and gluten-free recipe that has become a family favorite.
This healthy homemade granola recipe makes big clusters of crunchy granola filled with wholesome ingredients that’s probably already in your pantry. It is sweetened with dates and doesn’t have any added oil! Filled with seeds and nuts which makes it extra crunchy and filled with protein.
I love to top my morning yoghurt with this Healthy Salted Caramel Granola or eat it straight out of the jar as a snack.
Ingredients needed to make this healthy homemade granola:
- Dates, Medjool dates or regular dates can be used. I used regular ones here, they are cheeper but doesn’t have the same caramel flavour like the more expensive Medjool dates have.
- Hot water, to soak the dates in to make them softer so they blend easier.
- Peanut or almond butter, use all natural or homemade. My Homemade Pecan Almond Butter tasted amazing in this granola!
- Vanilla paste, vanilla bean powder or vanilla extract can also be used.
- Oats, regular oats or quick cooking ones can be used. If you want this granola to be gluten-free, make sure to user certified gluten-free oats.
- Mixed chopped nuts, natural and with the skin on. Almonds, hazelnut and walnuts work well. And for a really fancy granola, you can add some pecans.
- Mixed seeds, I buy a bag with a ready made mix that has pumpkin, sunflower, chia and poppy seeds in it. You can also add just your favourite seed!
- Corse sea salt, for the best flavour and texture. If you substitute for normal table salt just start with half the amount and taste. Add more if desired.
If you like this Healthy homemade granola, here are some more healthy breakfast recipes:
There is just something special about homemade granola. This recipe makes big clusters of crunchy gluten free and vegan granola filled with healthy ingredients.
- ½ Cup (125 ml) firmly packed pitted dates
- ½ Cup (125 ml) hot water
- 3 tablespoon peanut or almond butter
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla paste
- 2 Cups (500 ml) oats
- 1 Cup (250 ml) mixed chopped nuts
- ½ Cup (125 ml) mixed seeds
- ½ teaspoon corse sea salt
Pre heat the oven to 160C (325F)
Soak the dates in the hot water for 10 minutes.
Blend the dates and water in a food processor until smooth. Add the almond or peanut butter and vanilla paste. Blend until combined.
Add all the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir in the date mixture until well combined.
Pore the granola on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and spread in an even layer.
Bake the granola for 25-30 minutes, stirring once.
Let cool completely and then transfer to an airtight container.